Subject: Re: "BSD Authentication"
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 11/22/1998 15:54:44
> BSD/OS has a really *excellent* feature called "BSD Authentication".
> [...explanation...]
> What makes this excellent is that the login_* programs have a nice,
> well-documented, interface.  [...]  Well, it's under a BSD license.
> [...]  Unfortunately, not quite everything is under that license;
> while the libc stuff for this is all under the BSD license, the
> programs like 'login' and 'su' (and 'radiusd', for instance) aren't,
> so someone would probably need to write them.

> Would anyone be interested in seeing this feature set in NetBSD?

I'd like to see *something* like it.  But before I'd commit much effort
to rolling this particular way of doing it into NetBSD, I'd like to see
it contrasted to PAM, about which I know just about nothing except the
very general conceptual level.

> Would anyone like to volunteer to actually do some of the
> integration?

I can probably handle some of it; I've worked inside login(1) before,
for example.  But again, I'd like to see more details on both this and
PAM before sinking more than investigatory effort into it.  (And any
other ways of doing flexible authenticaion, too, if anyone knows of any
such other ways.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca