Subject: Current build, Linux compat problems, email problems...
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mason Bliss <bsdboy@hotmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/21/1998 22:21:33
Hey, all. FWIW, mail sent to <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us> is
probably bouncing at the moment, given that both my primary and
backup MX providers are down. (Anyone want to be secondary backup,
inbound-only (relative to me), for a medium- to small-volume mail-
only UUCP leaf node?)

Anyway, back to reality:

I was able to get today's (19981121) -current source to build only
after the following bit of malignant whacking in checkver:

if [ ! -f ./shlib_version ] ; then
    echo "$0: unable to find ./shlib_version"
#    exit 2
    exit
fi

For some reason, something - I haven't dug to see what - is trying
to run /usr/src/lib/checkver in the /usr/src/lib directory, where
there is no shlib_version file, and where there isn't supposed to
*be* a shlib_version file, near as I can tell. I'm guessing that it's
not /usr/src/lib/checkvers trying it, as it seems to only run checkver
on directories that contain a shlib_version.

The improper run was happening somewhere around the g77 build, if I
remember correctly.

On another note, having a brand-new kernel and a brand-new userland
didn't fix the problem I'm having with Linux compatibility. (Again,
a month-old kernel worked fine, but somewhere in there something in
our Linux emulation broke.) I still can't run Quake II. Tomorrow, I
will try to generate a *useful* ktrace to send to the list.

Thanks in advance for clues.

 - Mason