Subject: Re: NetBSD/i386 Nov 17 1998 snapshot
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/20/1998 17:20:41
Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no writes:
> I'm also not sure what we're going to do in the long run.  A few
> points:
>
>  o The install tools for 4M i386 machines and other i386 machines
>    may eventually diverge more than they do now.

I think we should do this now. Lets just resurrect the old script
based install tools for the 4M i386 and say "if you want to install
on a 4M machine, you have to know what you're doing. Only people with
8M or more get the friendly install tools."

>  o We may switch (?) to bzip in the boot code and elsewhere.

That will not help the 4M people in any case -- they have nearly no
memory in which to uncompress the bzipped image.

>  o We may adopt the "ustarfs" method used on Alpha on the i386 to
>    be able to load more than one diskette on boot (anyway, that's
>    what I've understood is its primary motivation).

Useful, but only for the >=8M machines.

Perry