Subject: Re: apmd battery/line script names
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@bk.bosch.de>
List: current-users
Date: 11/20/1998 20:46:20
Hi Wolfgang,

Wolfgang Rupprecht wrote:

> > In that case, "external power" and "battery power" spring to my mind.
>
> Names like "external power" "battery power" imply something thats true
> whenever "on battery" or "on external".  The script only gets called
> when transitioning "from external to battery" and "from battery to
> external".  A better name would be something that implies its
> edge-triggered not level-triggered (eg. toBattery, external2battery
> etc).
>
> This is a distinction that hacking with the UPS code has drummed into
> my mind.  There are two transitions and two states of interest.  One
> pair can of course be derived from the other pair, but having the two
> pairs be named well saves a lot of head scratching in the long run.
>
>    transitions:
>         external_to_battery
>         battery_to_external

Yeah! That was what I thought when I first read his commit message
and started this whole diskussion :-)
Your proposal is close to my first proposal, but it was deemed to
long :-( I still would like to see these names, but, if it's common
knowledge that all scripts are only executed when switching to a
certain state, like Ken said in his previous mail, I can live
with the short names as well.

  Guenther