Subject: Re: NetBSD/i386 Nov 17 1998 snapshot
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Tracy J. Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/19/1998 08:53:17
}> I have another problem with this machine.  When running NT, the
}> ethernet card works fine.  When I try to use it under NetBSD in
}> this specific machine, it doesn't work.  Put in another NetBSD
}> machine running current about two weeks old, it works fine.
}> Using sysinst to set up the network, it never shows any errors,
}> but takes forever to return and still doesn't work.
}>
}> When I tried to install the previous snapshot, it wouldn't work
}> either.  When I try to ping my gateway, ping would never output
}> anything.  (Normally it'll at least say where it's trying to
}> ping, and what size packet.)  The card is a NetGear FA310tx,
}> and is found at boot as:
}>
}> de0 at pci0 dev 10 function 0
}> de0: interrupting at irq 11
}> de0:21140A [10-100Mb/s] pass 2.2
}> de0: address 00:40:05:a2:e5:32
}> then later
}> de0: enabling Full Duplex 100baseTX port
}>
}> There are no obvious conflicts, so any help would be appreciated.
}
}There are as near as I can tell two possibilities:
}
} o You fell victim to the same problem I did, as reported in
}   kern/6401.  For me the problem was that the de0 interface did not
}   come up even though I said "up" as part of the ifconfig string
}   which also included "media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex".  The
}   workaround was to do a separate "ifconfig de0 up" after giving it
}   the address and setting the media options.  You can inspect if this
}   is the problem by doing "ifconfig de0" after configuring it, and if
}   "UP" is missing among the flags, that may be your problem.  (I also
}   added a second line to my /etc/ifconfig.de0 which said "up".)

I ran the sysinst 'Configure network', then ran /bin/sh.  ifconfig de0
does show "UP" as one of the flags.

}   I don't know what the cause of this problem is, but apparently
}   others have seen the same or a similar problem with different
}   hardware, so this may not be a driver bug but a more general
}   "kernel bug".  I've not had the time to dig deeper into this;
}   sorry.
}
} o Earlier today I replied to a message from ckane@best.com (you seem
}   to be on the CC list).  If your de card has separate phy chips on
}   it (I don't know much about the specifics here, so please bear with
}   me if I'm wrong), it may be a temporary workaround to tell the card
}   to do media autodetection (?) instead of instructing it explicitly
}   to use 100Mbit/s full-duplex.

I did tell it to do autodetection, which works when the card is in the
other machine.

Tracy J. Di Marco White
Project Vincent Systems Manager
gendalia@iastate.edu