Subject: Pine package and imapd
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1998 18:27:24
Hi,
Pine comes with all the code for the UW imap server, and infact, it's
compiled by default.  Out Pine package removes the compilation of the imap
server (but obviously still compiles all the client stuff).  Now, we have
a seperate package (imap-uw) for the UW imap server.  I assume this is
done so that the imap server can be ahead of whatever version is
distributed with pine (i.e. imap 4 before pine 4).  However, our imap
package is out of date (imap4.2 I believe), and the pine-4.05 package
comes with imap4.4.

Anyway, I installed the imap4.4 from the pine package manually (since the
relese notes described some bug fixes from 4.2 that I thought would be
good to have), but it would be nice to have this as a package.

Would it just make more sense to have an imapd package that uses the pine
distribution (in place, or as well as the existing uw-imap package) - sort
of like the pico package?  Or should the uw-imap package just be updated.

The reason I'm asking is because I tried to build both.  On my 386 NAT
box, buidling the pine imapd took only a few minutes (above what was
already done for pine).  Building the uw-imap package took several hours
before I cancelled it.  Seems sort of wastefull....

Thanks,
	Rick

P.S. I assumed tech-pkg was for "techincal" issues, which is isn't.
Please let me know if this message should have gone there...