Subject: Re: hostname
To: Tom T. Thai <tomthai@future.net>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1998 12:34:53
	In the default installation, as you point out, hostname is given the
contents of /etc/myname at boot up.  Since your /etc/myname file contains
predict, and not, predict.future.net, typing hostname after you boot will
show predict.  If you put the fqdn in /etc/myname, you'll get the fqdn when
you type hostname after restarting.  If you want the hostname without the
fqdn, use the -s flag to hostname.  The -s flag is documented in the
hostname(1) man page.
So, if I were you, I'd put the fqdn in  /etc/myname, rerun the mysql
installation process, and things should be happier.
-Brian