Subject: Re: hostname
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
From: Tom T. Thai <tomthai@future.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/16/1998 16:58:04
On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Tom T. Thai wrote:
>
> > should `hostname` return FQDN or just the "host name?"  The reason I ask
> > is because on all my NetBSD system, `hostname` seems to return the "host
> > name" and not FQDN.
>
> [mysql really wants a FQDN]
>
> > Now I wonder if I have my system setup right or is NetBSD's `hostname` a
> > little different.
>
> What does the entry in /etc/hosts look like? What does the hostname line
> in rc.conf look like?

I'm just curious what is the "right" way to have your hostname, is it just
the "host name" or should it be the FQDN?

I think sysinstall did most of the default entries:
/etc/hosts
#Added by NetBSD sysinst
#
204.130.134.9 predict.future.net predict
127.0.0.1 localhost

/etc/rc.conf
# Basic network configuration
hostname=""                              # if blank, use /etc/myname
domainname=""                            # if blank, use /etc/defaultdomain
defaultroute=""                          # if blank, use /etc/mygate

# cat /etc/myname
predict
# cat /etc/defaultdomain
future.net