Subject: hostname
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Tom T. Thai <tomthai@future.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/16/1998 16:29:30
should `hostname` return FQDN or just the "host name?"  The reason I ask
is because on all my NetBSD system, `hostname` seems to return the "host
name" and not FQDN.

MySQL's mysql_install_db script uses hostname to install the initial host
into it's mysql permission table.  And it does a `hostname` to find it.
This is fine 'til you try to access your db from that host to only find
that mysql_install_db really expected a FQDN.  So I joined mysql's mailing
list and asked that question.  Apparantly most users on their say that
their `hostname` returns a FQDN.

Now I wonder if I have my system setup right or is NetBSD's `hostname` a
little different.

Thomas T. Thai          Infomedia Interactive Communications
tom@iic.net             TEL 612.376.9090 * FAX 612.376.9087