Subject: pppd vs. proxy arp again
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/15/1998 05:05:07
     A while ago, I wrote a note about a problem I was having with
pppd and proxy arp in NetBSD 1.3.x.  The problem being that the system
will spontaneously add an arp entry for an IP address used for PPP
which was incomplete.  This entry had to be removed by hand before
somebody could dial-in.  Somebody pointed me at a PR with a patch for
pppd which made it delete the bogus arp entry before creating its own.
I applied the patch.  But, it is really a hack, which is open to a
race condition, and I'm losing the race quite frequently.  This is a
major problem, since the machine acts a dial-in server for a small
ISP.  Is there a real fix for this problem, either in 1.3.3 or
-current (although I would prefer not to have to run -current on a
production machine)?