Subject: Re: dhclient vs. Shaw cable modem
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/15/1998 04:49:32
On Nov 10,  4:05pm, Ted Lemon wrote:
}
} It may be that you can win by adding the following to your
} dhclient.conf:
}
} 	send dhcp-client-identifier "cs840999-a";

     I guess I should have mentioned that I tried using send
host-name, but it was pretty obvious that from the tcpdump sample that
this should have been done.  Anyways, it was a no go.  I will try this
option, and see what happens.

} I am assuming that you aren't going to boot both the Win95 machine and
} the NetBSD machine at once - if so, don't do that.   The reason I

     Correct.  The cable modem was orinally hooked up to the Win95
machine because that is one of the supported platforms and we needed
to test it.  I only hooked both machines up temporarily so that I
could use tcpdump to capture the DHCPDISCOVER packet that the Win95
machine was sending.

} I haven't suggested sending the hostname because I happen to know that
} @Home considers the hostname and client identifier synonymous, and I'm
} assuming that you're using an @Home service, or one that works the

     Yes, I'm using Shaw@Home.

} same way.   If setting the client identifier option doesn't work,
} though, consider setting the hostname.   If you get really desperate,
} set the hostname including the NUL at the end by converting from ascii
} to hex and specifying:
}
} 	option hostname 45:6f:6f:0;
}
} (i.e., "FOO^@")  actually "Foo^@" :-)

     Thanks for the tip.  I actually created a rather gross hack to
clparse.c that forcibly added the NULL to host-name.  Hmm, must learn
to read manpages more closely...

}-- End of excerpt from Ted Lemon