Subject: Re: dhclient vs. Shaw cable modem
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/10/1998 16:05:06
It may be that you can win by adding the following to your
dhclient.conf:

	send dhcp-client-identifier "cs840999-a";

I am assuming that you aren't going to boot both the Win95 machine and
the NetBSD machine at once - if so, don't do that.   The reason I
think that sending that string in the client identifier will work is
that I suspect your ISP is only willing to let you have one IP
address, which is fixed to a particular client identifier.   If that
is the case, you need to send the same identification your Win95 box
is sending.

I haven't suggested sending the hostname because I happen to know that
@Home considers the hostname and client identifier synonymous, and I'm
assuming that you're using an @Home service, or one that works the
same way.   If setting the client identifier option doesn't work,
though, consider setting the hostname.   If you get really desperate,
set the hostname including the NUL at the end by converting from ascii
to hex and specifying:

	option hostname 45:6f:6f:0;

(i.e., "FOO^@")

			       _MelloN_