Subject: Re: decoding SCSI errors
To: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/08/1998 01:19:00
Sense Key 4: Hardware Error - your hardware is busted.

ASC/ASCQ is vendor unique. Typical, 0x44 indicates an
internal target problem- I'd guess some electronics
issue about not getting a stable pll signal from the heads
(just to grab something random out of my ass).

DATs have a high failure rate, but for the money are
the best low end storage solution (IMHO). And Archive
was the best at this for quite some time. The HP/Bristol
folks made a decent stab at things, but those drives
sure have been pieces of junk (in the first year or
so all drives for that cute little six slot changer
that I heard about died). The Sony is quite nice, but
it's also pricey enough to consider bargain older
DLT technology.