Subject: Re: dhclient support.
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/1998 17:27:56
Ted Lemon writes:
> > Well, at that time there are no network interfaces active. If it
> > will automatically start to listen on new network interfaces as
> > they're configured, perhaps we can just start it with the standard
> > arguments.
>
> I would assume that it just binds to INADDR_ANY/514, which should Just
> Work.

It doesn't. When you bind to INADDR_ANY, it appears that you end up
only listening on interfaces that are up at the time of the bind, and
on the addresses in use at that time.

> I don't _think_ that the kernel prevents you from listening on
> INADDR_ANY before you have an up interface, but I suppose I could be
> wrong.

That is true enough.

Jason and I have talked about a mechanism to deal with this and other
things over the past couple of years, I should bother him again about
it now.

Perry