Subject: Re: Why is Samba so much slower on NetBSD than FreeBSD?
To: NetBSD Current <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Delcamp <edelcamp@easynet.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 10/26/1998 14:33:22
Hi !

I have a 3COM 3c509 PnP in 2 machines, and on the driver disk there is a
small program named "3c5c9cfg.exe". I can choose the buffer optimization
with it. Examples :

    ep0 at isapnp0 port 0x210/16 irq 9
    ep0: 3Com 3C509B EtherLink III
    ep0: MAC address 00:60:08:e7:b7:47

With buffer set to "DOS" or "Windows / OS 2", I get :
    ep0: 8KB byte-wide FIFO, 5:3 Rx:Tx split, utp/bnc (default bnc)

and with buffer set to "Server" :
    ep0: 8KB byte-wide FIFO, 1:1 Rx:Tx split, utp/bnc (default bnc)

Cards work fine with "DOS" setting, but I have really heavy "hang" time with
Telnet from a Windows NT4 WS (like 1 minute to display the first "more" or
"dmesg", or to login). Transfert rate is OK when FTPing.