Subject: Re: Why is Samba so much slower on NetBSD than FreeBSD?
To: Andreas Wrede <andreas@planix.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/23/1998 18:28:21
Andreas Wrede writes:

> Just to add a datapoint. On a i486/50 EISA machine with a 3c509 ISA card,
> Adaptec 1740 SCSI and NetBSD 1.3.2, I see the following samba performance:
> Peer			to	from
> PII/300-Win95 		620	666
> P/100-WIN95		373	878
> PII/300-NetBSD-current	540	691
[..]

Hmm, I'll add another datapoint.  (not very scientific though)
I copied a 256MB file from my Windows 95 machine to a NetBSD box, and
then back.  The Win95 has a 3c905 integrated in it's docking station
that performs poorly under NetBSD (also) on receives.

		write		read
P233-Win95	2472 KB/s	384 KB/s

I think this is related to the 3com in my case.  The server is a
P133 with NetBSD/1.3.2, samba from /usr/pkgsrc (1.9.18pl10?) and
a blazing de0.. :)

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.