Subject: Re: color xterm?
To: None <perry@piermont.com, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/23/1998 14:04:44
On Thu, Oct 22, 1998 at 11:13:32PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Anyone know whether or not the xterm in our X tree supports color or
> not? I can't seem to get it to do color with ncurses 4.2....

  We're still using the xterm from an XFree86 distribution, not
from xsrc, but it should be pretty similar/identical!  I've
found that, in order for the widest range of color-enhanced
applications to work, I've had to do _both_ steps mentioned so far:

1.  xterm*colorMode: on (or, *VT100*colorMode: on, etc.)
2.  setenv TERM <appropriate entry>

  Unfortunately, mutt-0.93.1i looks for TERM=color_xterm (or some
capability only set in color_xterm), while lynx-2.7.1 looks for
xterm-color (or some capability....).  So, I set my TERM to
color_xterm, and alias lynx to lynx -color.  "infocmp
color_xterm xterm-color" prints out tons of differences -- maybe
some termcap-knowledgeable person could debug this?  I'm using
version 9.13.25 of termcap.

  I must say that colorized xterms are indispensable -- I now
have syntax colorization under VIM when editing source code,
and also have a script that converts diff -u output to put +
lines in red, - lines in blue, @@ lines in bold, and the
rest in ordinary.  I can't live without colorized diff!  :)

  Brian