Subject: Re: cscope
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Newhouse <newhouse@rockhead.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/21/1998 22:10:35
Greg A. Woods writes:
>There is a free (and redistributable?) subset clone available:
>
>	http://www-lti.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~michael/projects/cs.html
>	ftp://cantor.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/unix/cs.tar.gz

After a quick look it seems to be the query interface.  I didn't see anything
that looked like the database builder.

>The real Cscope is included on the Lucent Technologies (aka Bell Labs! ;-)
>Software Toolchest Volume II CD-ROM, which is only $495[usa] for an
>unlimited source code license (which is a damn good price for the
>content!).  The binary sub-licensing fee for Cscope alone is an
>additional $1,500[usa].

The source pricing doesn't seem that out of line BUT, ...

>If you're going to pay for some such tool I think from what I've heard
>third-hand that CIA is a bit more capable and current than Cscope:

... I was hoping to find some freeware that provides the same basic functionality
and works (or might be made to work) on NetBSD.

>	http://www.lucent.com/ssg/html/cia.html  (C information abstractor)
>	http://www.lucent.com/ssg/html/cin.html  (C Interpreter)
>	http://www.lucent.com/ssg/html/vice.html (Visual C Environment)
>
>Unfortunately the pricing's not given on those pages....
>
>(See?!?!?  Who the heck needs Microsoft for fancy GUI development
>environments anyway!!!!  ;-)

Thanks for all the info,
Paul