Subject: Re: No IDE-DMA after sup today ("no driver support")...
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 10/21/1998 19:34:45
>That sounds like a job for a little tool that encapsulates the
>reverse-engineering skill.  Hmm.  Something to do if I ever rediscover
>what "free time" is...

Yeah.  But if the kernel is GENERIC its got wildcarded devices, and if
its not GENERIC, then in an ideal world you'd edit a config file,
rerun config, and rebuild....

There are other good reasons to want this functionality, tho.

>> And if the multiple devices
>> are wildcarded and on the same parent, you're still scrooed.

>If, oh, SOMEONE were to write the tool mentioned above, perhaps config
>could be trained to leave a dozen or so extra bytes in the ioconf array...

You mean at the end?  I dont think that helps: order is signficant,
and patching in "spare" entries would  mean re-ordering the array.

I think that goes beyond the normal meaning of "patchable".

To do it Right you'd have subsumed the FreeBSD boot-time
config state, even.