Subject: Re: Reoccuring kernel build problems.
To: Nigel Reed <nigel@nelgin.nu>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/21/1998 11:55:54
"Nigel Reed" writes:
> I have a reoccuring problem which occurs when I try to build a kernel after
> doing a sup. I do the following...
>
> 1) do a make clean in /usr/src
> 2) Get the sup
> 3) make build  (all compiles ok)
> 4) Reboot the machine.
> 5) go to /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf and copied GENERIC to NELGIN
> 6) did config NELGIN
> 7) cd ../compile/NELGIN and then make depend && make

By the way, you are asking to die here, very badly, one day.

Why?

You are building userland before building and installing a new
kernel. Imagine what will happen to you one morning when userland
expects the kernel to have, say, a new fork() call at a new syscall
number, and you are trying to run this userland with your new
kernel. You won't be happy.

Always build the new kernel FIRST.

I'm sorry that I can't help you with the rest of your problem here --
I don't know what is causing it -- but I thought this warning was
important enough to tell you about it.

Perry