Subject: Re: Permissions on directories.
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/20/1998 09:54:08
On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Shyeah right.  What am I gonna do with a gun rack? wrote:
>
> : 	- setgid on a directory supposedly makes any file/directory
> : 	  creation inherit the gid of the directory in which it is
> : 	  created, otherwise it (supposedly) inherits the gid of the
> : 	  process which created it.
>
> ...Yet BSD gives the "setgid" behavior _all_ the time.  I'd certainly perfer
> this to be an option, as SVR4's method of using the real user's gid sounds
> more sane to me.

	As someone who has witnessed the pain of the default SV behaviour
	(files appearing with the 'wrong' group for their directory and
	then other users not being able to edit them), can I just confirm
	that if this is added as an option, it defaults to off :)

		David/absolute

	 -=-  "Just adding to the wrinkles on his deathly frown"  -=-