Subject: Re: spray and fxp0
To: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/1998 10:40:36
Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu> writes:
> What are the reasons for not having these pools dynamically allocated?
> For as long as I've been using NetBSD (since about 0.9), there have
> been occasions when I've had to resize these pools for various
> reasons, and kernel compiles are always necessary.  It's kind of a
> pain.

FWIW, my take on this is, in a perfect world, everything should be
dynamically resizable.

However, we all know that the world is not perfect, so common tunable
parameters (like this) should all be patchable kernel variables, at
least.

That way, you can patch them (in the on-disk kernel image), reboot,
and have the settings you want without rebuilding a kernel.

Sometimes it's just not practical to rebuild a kernel.

cgd