Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/18/1998 11:52:56
On Oct 10,  2:05pm, David Maxwell wrote:
} Today. That may very well change, with the rise and fall of various chip
} makers. Good design is good design, if i386 can't accomodate it completely,
} that doesn't mean all of NetBSD should suffer, even if i386 is the most
} popular/widely used port. I think many people here believe in the portable
} design model, or they'd have started running some other single platform OS.

  I promised myself that I wouldn't contribute to "the thread that wouldn't
die"...but I needed to say something about this.  I don't know what the stats
actually are, but a large number of people around here, say 25 or so, run
NetBSD on various platforms...but *none* are i386.  They're mostly sparc and
pmax.  In fact, at work, my entire company...all desktop machines, and all
production machines...are NetBSD/sparc on everything from a bunch of 1+ boxes
to big fat SS20s.  With some Ultras coming soon, I hope.  Hint, hint. ;)

  If i386 is the most widely used NetBSD port, that sure is a shock to me.  I
certainly haven't seen it.  I booted 0.9 on a 4mb 386/16 just to prove that it
could be done, but that's about it.

                                 -Dave McGuire