Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/18/1998 03:39:35
On Oct 12, 10:02pm, Greg A. Woods wrote:
} [ On Sat, October 10, 1998 at 00:48:03 (-0700), John Nemeth wrote: ]
} >
} > } > tagged onto the end of the list.  Why should I have to remember to use
} > } > 'mount /dev/dsk/c1t2d0 /cdrom' (taken from an HP-UX system just now; I
} > } > had to use ioscan to remind myself where the cdrom drive is) as
} > } > opposed to simply 'mount /dev/cd0a /cdrom' in order to view a cdrom?
} > }
} > } That begs the question:  Why didn't you just type "mount /cdrom"?????
} > }
} > } Surely c1t2d0 is no more meaningful to a naive user than cd0a is.  The
} >
} >      No, but the latter is a heck of a lot easier to type and
} > remember.  And, I would argue the latter is more meaningful, since it
} > contains the string "cd" and that's the kind of device they want;
} > whereas, the former is just a collection of random characters.
}
} And if you have 15 SCSI buses with a total of 30-odd CD-ROM devices and
} you're just trying to find the one on the third bus that's attached to
} the single drive set to target 6 beside your console?  I.e. c3t6d0s0
} vs. cd17a, or whatever.

     In that case, I'd buy a Brother labelmaker and label the things.
Nothing else would make any sense.  At that point, it wouldn't matter
what they were called as long as the name didn't change.

} (yes, finding which cable is the "third" bus is still a trick, but let's
} not digress too far again...)

     I do telephone system installations as well, so I wouldn't have
any problem with it; but, it would be a rediculous thing to do
everytime I wanted to use one.

} (BTW, I didn't mean by "biling systems" the machine actually tracking
} customer data and printed bills for mailing, but rather the machines
} that collate call detail records and thus feed the bill printing
} computers.)

     The former is what I would call the "billing systems".  The
latter is just data transfer with possibly a bit of data transfer.
That probably didn't require a lot of horsepower.  The primary
criteria there was most likely that it didn't lose any data.

}-- End of excerpt from Greg A. Woods