Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/18/1998 02:21:22
On Oct 12,  8:58pm, Greg A. Woods wrote:
} [ On Sun, October 11, 1998 at 01:00:48 (-0700), John Nemeth wrote: ]
} > On Oct 5,  9:02pm, Greg A. Woods wrote:
}
} Having talked to some commercial users who don't want to use NetBSD, I
} think I can say that I know what I'm talking about.

     Okay, I will accept that you are faithfully reporting what you
have been told by the various commercial users with whom you are
associated.  However, I reserve the right to judge the validity of the
arguments.

} > } There's simply no reason *not* to wire everything down from the get go,
} > } *especially* with SCSI, and probably even with PCI.
} >
} >      Except for the fact that it would mean making major changes to
} > the system.
}
} Huh?  It woudn't necessarily be visible unless you're writing device
} drivers, let alone purvasive.  How do you count that as "major"?????

     Um, something that requires the modification of every device
driver is a major change and pervasive.  This doesn't automatically
mean that it shouldn't be done, just that there must an extremely good
reason for it.

} > } Perhaps NetBSD really does need a boot-time machanism like FreeBSD's
} > } boot configuration tool with the primary goal of allowing one to wire
} > } down devices after they've been probed.  This way folks could change a
} >
} >      This sounds like a potential disaster waiting to happen, and not
} > particularly useful.  Are you going to have to enter the options
} > [...]
}
} Why don't you boot up FreeBSD, install it on a spare machine, and try
} out all your scenarios?  My own risk analysis for the purpose I

     Because, I'm not the one that wants it.  It's up to the person
that wants it to make a convincing argument for it and to respond to
any concerns about it.

}-- End of excerpt from Greg A. Woods