Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/18/1998 02:05:00
On Oct 12,  8:29pm, Greg A. Woods wrote:
} [ On Sun, October 11, 1998 at 11:07:16 (-0500), seebs@plethora.net wrote: ]
} > In message <Pine.NEB.4.02.9810110308550.11624-100000@ascetic.portal.ca>, Curt Sampson writes:
} > >I coded up a bit of proof-of-concept stuff for the new NetBSD
} > >startup dependency system that Perry and Matt were doing some work
} > >on. This made the whole concept of `runlevels' obselete by instead
} > >allowing you to turn on and off named daemons or named groups of
} > >daemons. So you wouldn't for example, have to have your radius
} > >server running just to run xdm on that machine as well.
}
} Anyone who knows anything about AT&T System V Unix will know that they
} also came up with a similar improvement about 10 years ago or more
} (SAC).  The AIX guys did something similar too.

     I thought "sac" was that incredibly excessively complex (which is
the AT&T style after all) replacement for getty in SVR4?  At least
that is where all my references point.  Is there something else?

}-- End of excerpt from Greg A. Woods