Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/18/1998 01:29:48
On Oct 11,  3:13am, Curt Sampson wrote:
} On Sat, 10 Oct 1998 seebs@plethora.net wrote:
}
} > I often want a machine "partially up".  For instance, I might want
} > a machine in the mode where normal services are in place, but "network
} > server" stuff is temporarily off.
}
} I coded up a bit of proof-of-concept stuff for the new NetBSD
} startup dependency system that Perry and Matt were doing some work
} on. This made the whole concept of `runlevels' obselete by instead
} allowing you to turn on and off named daemons or named groups of
} daemons. So you wouldn't for example, have to have your radius
} server running just to run xdm on that machine as well.

     Hmm, this sounds a lot like the Extensions Manager CDEV on a Mac.

}-- End of excerpt from Curt Sampson