Subject: Re: A few random -current questions
To: None <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
From: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 10/16/1998 21:40:45

WF>     Something I've always kinda wondered about, why are the files that
WF> come from pcidevs, isapnpdevs, etc. regenerated on the server, rather
WF> than just done as dependencies at kernel-compile time?

Well, in the case of the APM/bios trampoline, I chose to do it as a
checked-in file since there's absolutely nothing about it which varies
from kernel to kernel (no options affect the contents), and it was far
easier for me to figure out how to build it and check it in than to wire
it into the kernel build Makefiles.

--
==John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us>, <john_kohl@alum.mit.edu>
Write a poem, share your heart!