Subject: Re: 1.3.2 crash (was Re: Distribution kernel i386 1.2.3 crashes)
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/16/1998 12:46:17
Yep, wss0 is the Windows Sound System...

On my Dell system, I had to go into the BIOS and disable the sound
system in order to get the install kernel to boot clean.

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> wss is some sound card I believe...
>
> The problem here is that an attempt has been made to share a PCI with
> an ISA interrupt. If you can get into the BIOS and 'reserve' IRQ
> 10 (such that PCI IRQs are mapped elsewhere) you may be able to
> avoid this crock.
>
> (personally, I've always felt that this shouldn't be a panic)
>

> On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Andreas Priebe wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > the NetBSD 1.3.2 distribution kernel for i386 crashes during boot on my new
> > Pentium II 350 with the following message:
> >
> > [...]
> > cd0 at atapibus0 ....
> > sb0 at isa0 port ...
> > audio0 at sb0
> > wss0 at isa0 port 0x530-0x537 irq 10 drq 0 drq2 1 panic: intr_establish: can't share level-triggered with edge-triggered
> > Stopped at    _Debugger+0x4:  leave
> > db>
> >
> > What is wss0? Any ideas?
> > The kernel on the boot floppy doesnt seem to have these.
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Andreas
> > --
> > The box said: "Requires Windows 3.1 or better," so I bought a Macintosh.
> > * Andreas Priebe          * Email    :  APriebe@aip.de (PGP key available) *
> > * Potsdam, Germany        * WWW      :  http://www.aip.de:8080/~apr/       *

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |