Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/13/1998 09:55:10
On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Brett Lymn wrote:

> According to Curt Sampson:
> >
> >I coded up a bit of proof-of-concept stuff for the new NetBSD
> >startup dependency system that Perry and Matt were doing some work
> >on. This made the whole concept of `runlevels' obselete by instead
> >allowing you to turn on and off named daemons or named groups of
> >daemons. So you wouldn't for example, have to have your radius
> >server running just to run xdm on that machine as well.
> >

> This sounds interesting but does it address the down side as well?
> Meaning, can you tell a group of daemons to please go away.

Yes. If you ask any daemon or group to shutdown, the system shuts
down all its dependents before it shuts down that daemon/group.
(Every startup script takes `start' or `stop' as an argument.)

This means that if you, say, shut down your database, it will make
sure your web server and radius server which depend on that database
are correctly shut down first.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@portal.ca>  604-257-9400    De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
Any opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.