Subject: Very bad network performance for file transfers?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Nigel Reed <nigel@nelgin.nu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/12/1998 18:44:19
Greets,

I'm struggling with the network performance on my NetBSD machine (supped on
Oct 1).

Some background. I'm using a cable modem connected to a 9 port hub. Off this
there is a Win98, Win95 and NetBSD machine. The NetBSD machine is a P133
with 40 megs of EDO. The network card is a PNP HP ethertwist - running as
ne0 (NE2000 compatible)

Trying to ftp or scp files around, I'm getting pitifully slow throughput

227 Entering Passive Mode (128,138,243,20,17,33)
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for libnet-1.0605.tar.gz (55852
bytes).
 15% |*****                                 |  8704        95 B/s   -
stalled -

THis file has been going for about 15 minutes how.

However, if I try the same thing on the Win98 machine...

150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for libnet-1.0605.tar.gz (55852
bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 55852 bytes received in 5.60Seconds 9.97Kbytes/sec.

Both from exactly the same ftp site - both using the same hub & cable modem.

I have tried doing an ftp to my NetBSD machine from elsewhere on the net and
everything seems normal.

I don't remember having this problem with 1.3.2 - If anyone can suggest
anything which I may have overlooked - or something which I should maybe
upgrade, it'd be appreciated.

TIA
Nigel