Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/10/1998 14:28:02
On Oct 4,  2:13am, David Maxwell wrote:
} On Sat, Oct 03, 1998 at 09:32:27PM -0700, Greg Earle wrote:
} > > On Sat, Oct 03, 1998 at 03:18:14PM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
} > >> Note, that this rant isn't just aimed at you, but rather everybody
} > >> that is trying to turn NetBSD into SysV (*especially* Greg, who keeps
} > >> restarting this idiotic discussion every few months).
} > >
} > > There's a difference between turning BSD into SysV and importing good ideas
} > > from SysV.
} >
} > Are there any?  I certainly don't consider /dev/dsk/cWtXdYsZ one of them.
} > (Having once been bitten by an errant "boot -r" on Solaris 2, like Rick Kelly)
}
} I'd say we won't know unless there's discussion of the issues.
}
} Besides, 'good' is in the eye of the SysAdmin, or some mixed-metaphor like
} that.
}
} > If we're going to consider radical changes, why not go whole-hog and
} > implement Veritas' VxVM and its abstraction away of the physical device layer?
}
} Although this sounds like sarcasm to me, it begs the question: Are radical
} changes not open to discussion? I'd summarize my side of the answer to that
} one as 'no radical change for the sake of change, but rational discussion/
} deliberation on the values of _any_ change, radical or not.'
}
} > Far better that than these repeated System V-ficiation attempts by people
} > from that background, like Mr. Woods.  I'm with John Nemeth on this one ...
}
} When the comments repeatedly get personal and accusatory, I get leary of
} the effect on the mailing-lists. People who may have valuable contributions
} to make may be reluctant enough to get involved to begin with. When users
} see personal comments like the two quoted here I fear it may disincent
} participation.
}
} --
} David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
} mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,
} but there's no substitute. Personally, I'd rather pay for my freedom than live
} in a bitmapped, pop-up-happy dungeon like NT. - Thomas Scoville
}-- End of excerpt from David Maxwell