Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@phoenix.net>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/09/1998 23:28:54
On Oct 3,  6:20pm, Jay Maynard wrote:
} On Sat, Oct 03, 1998 at 03:18:14PM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
} > Note, that this rant isn't just aimed at you, but rather everybody
} > that is trying to turn NetBSD into SysV (*especially* Greg, who keeps
} > restarting this idiotic discussion every few months).
}
} There's a difference between turning BSD into SysV and importing good ideas
} from SysV. There are elements of SysV designed for reliable system

     If everything that a mere handful of people wanted implemented
was done, then NetBSD would look very much like SysV from a system
administration viewpoint.

} administration in a production environment, with clear boundaries between

     I operate a bunch of machines, including several based on SVR4,
in production environments.  I find the SVR4 machines to be a royal
pain in the neck.

} system files and those meant to be modified by admins, that I'd like to see

     SVR4 sure the heck doesn't have this.  Even worse, it spreads
configuration stuff over a whole bunch of different places, so you
have to do some serious hunting in order to find and change anything
(especially if you administrate more then one version, since they have
a nasty tendency to put the same type of stuff in different places).

} in BSD. In the face of NIH attitudes like this, why bother implementing it?

     Yes, it is a good idea, if implemented half decently.  But, SVR4
sure the heck doesn't have it.  NetBSD 1.3's /etc/rc.conf and
/etc/{daily,weekly,monthly}.conf are steps in that direction.  There
are very few "system" files in NetBSD that the user needs to modify
now.  The problem that I see is that there is getting to be a whole
bunch of configuration files.  Re-organizing things and putting all of
the configuration files in one subdirectory off of /etc would probably
be a good idea.

     IN CASE YOU'VE MISSED IT, EVERYTIME I'VE MENTIONED IT IN THE
PAST, I'VE ADMINISTRATED JUST ABOUT EVERY VERSION OF UNIX, MANY OF
THEM IN PRODUCTION ENVIRONMENTS.  NIH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY
ATTITUDE.  I'M VERY FAMAILIAR WITH SVR4 SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION, AND I
DON'T LIKE IT!!!  HENCE THE REASON I USE A VERSION OF BSD.

}-- End of excerpt from Jay Maynard