Subject: Re: New Netgear FA310TX support?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/09/1998 19:34:57
No important comment, just venting.

> >I just received a new Netgear FA310TX with the "new" Netgear NIC
> >that is supposedly a 21140 clone.

I have a nearly-new Netgear FA310TX with a genuine 21140.

I *hate* when companies revise a product like this and keep the exact same name
just because the new product fills the same ecological niche, only it's cheaper
and works ALMOST as well as it used to.

Out of curiosity, does the box for the new FA310TX have a clear plastic window
that lets you see what chip is inside?  I bought mine because of the prominent
DIGITAL logo on the chip; something makes me suspect they won't be so quick
to advertise a no-name clone chip...

grumble grumble grumble.