Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/09/1998 14:48:40
According to Greg A. Woods:

>You mean this one that says:

Others have already explained this but yes, it does have 5 pci slots
and they work quite nicely even with all the pci slots loaded.

>> I can't even figure out how you intend to map controllers to the
>> N in /dev/cN... Perhaps you could explain how this would occur on
>> typical PCI bus systems.
>
>Other than the simple one-controller per slot model, the only real way
>to handle PCI dynamically is by drawing a tree structure.

(here I go again.... :-)  Yeah - I did do a tool that will draw almost
the tree almost exactly the way you drew it.  The tool is called
prtconf (name stolen from elsewhere ;-) and is bundled with the abc
stuff I put out for comment - you don't even need a hacked libcurses
for prtconf.  I would love to see what it does on Justin's monster
machine :-)

>This is why I keep alluding to moving to sparse data structures to
>define the device configuration space...

I don't think anyone argues about that one.

  And the monks would cry unto them, "Keep the bloody noise down!"
  - Mort, Terry Pratchett.