Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/09/1998 14:41:38
According to Greg A. Woods:

>And some technically strong shops refuse to allow kernels to be built on
>the target machine, especially if that machine is "in the field" (i.e.
>remote from the "home" office where the admins are).  Kernel source
>(or even object trees) should *not* be in the field.

At the risk of thumping my own tub again - I have put a tool up for
comment that does try to address the technically weak shops
configuring their own kernels.  It is not foolproof by any measure but
it does go a long way to helping people configure up a kernel.  The
default method is to configure for your current machine but you can
add and delete devices as needed.

>> I could transition slowly from kernel config files to symlink nests, by
>> teaching config to leave "wd0" alone, so I could symlink /dev/wd0 to the
>> above path. (Note: I am ignoring wd0[a-h] names for simplicity.)
>
>Slow transition is the way of nightmares....

So is a big bang approach - you would have to get everything right or
work very hard at catch up as things trip you up.

>> Moving the address of a boot disk that had been "wired down" would
>> require boot-time recovery and/or procedures to change the wiring.
>
>you mean "root disk", no?

Heh heh heh - exactly, root disk != boot disk in some cases :-)

  And the monks would cry unto them, "Keep the bloody noise down!"
  - Mort, Terry Pratchett.