Subject: Re: Problem linting libkafs - make guru needed
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/07/1998 09:29:29
On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Todd Whitesel wrote:

: Whoops, my original concern was a total red herring. My description of
: -nostdlib is valid for GNU ld, but not for the ld we actually use, about
: whose lineage I am unworthy to hypothesize.  Sorry for the confusion.
:
: In our current ld, all -nostdlib does is prevent -L/usr/lib from implicitly
: appearing in the linker's environment. Searching of -lgcc -lc or crt0.o is
: not affected by it. (grep for std_search_path underneath gnu/usr.bin/ld)

Um, all of this is in the gcc specs file, not in ld.  Double red herring.  :)
Use "cc -dumpspecs" and look for the %{nostdlib:...} and %{!nostdlib:...}
blocks.

In fact, GNU ld doesn't seem to have a -nostdlib on all platforms, which is
both unfortunate and aggravating.  I'm going to have to introduce a
differently named (as -n means something special on mips) option that has
the same effect in ld (ignore /usr/lib).