Subject: Re: NCR SCSI Driver Woes
To: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/07/1998 13:38:54
On Tue, 06 Oct 1998 23:27:04 -0400  "Michael C. Richardson" wrote:

>     Brett> I know that you said it's not termination BUT - check the
>     Brett> termination ;-) Check every drive in the chain has the terminators
>     Brett> disabled on it - modern drives are sneaky and it is very easy to
>
>   Sorry, I was adding a drive in the *middle* of the chain. The last
> drive is terminated. It had to be, since it was the first drive installed.

"It had to be" is not necessarily true.  SCSI _can_ work without proper
termination, but it's usually a fluke if it does.  My favorite SCSI
configuration was my old PC532 with a SCSI bus with three devices
arranged in a H-like chain with only termination on the motherboard.

As Brett says, checking and re-checking termination is always a good
idea with SCSI equipment.

Simon.