Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/06/1998 12:51:36
[ On Tue, October 6, 1998 at 09:45:17 (-0400), der Mouse wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
>
> > And while I'm here, an access scheme that used filesystem labels
> > instead of any kind of access to the physical location of the drive
> > (which both the BSD type sdN and the SysV cNtM... do) is clearly the
> > better approach.
>
> Hardly.
>
> It's better - in some cases.  It's also worse - in other cases.

I think it is *always* the better approach, however....

> It would be a good thing to have available.  It would be an extremely
> obnoxious thing to have no alternative to.

You're right in that there must be an alternative (this is a Unix system
after all!), and I think the current existing approach offered by
mount(2) is very much an acceptable alternative.  The "better" approach
is not always possible.

--
							Greg A. Woods