Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/05/1998 17:49:44
On Mon, Oct 05, 1998 at 12:01:48PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> As far as I know, it's possible on EVERY NetBSD platform, if you take the
> time to wire things down in your kernel. Every device driver should
> support both wildcard and wired-down locators, and should indicate that
> the wired-down one is preferable. If a device driver doesn't, send a pr.
> :-)
> Greg Woods wrote:
> > That's not going to work if you assign controllers to buses based on the
> > probe order.  There *must* be some way to physically identify the card
> > in order to prevent sliding your disks around accidentally.
>
> No one's mentioned it, but you can.
>
> ahc1    at pci0 dev 12 function <whatever>
> ahc2    at pci0 dev 13 function <whatever>

I have a feeling that certain BIOS' (What the plural of BIOS? BIOSae?) may
not keep these constant, or for that matter that different BIOS sets will
pick the same numbers if you swap a motherboard. I also don't know how to
find these numbers out except by booting multiple times and adding one
card each reboot.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,