Subject: Re: undef symbol '___builtin_vec_delete' in groff.
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/04/1998 20:03:27
On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Todd Whitesel wrote:

: > : To simply reinstall libgcc at this point would trash my current system!
: >
: > You need to reCOMPILE and reinstall libgcc.
: >             ^^^^^^^^^
:
: A simple "make clean ; make && make install" in gnu/lib/libgcc was NOT enough.
:
: I tried many variations of making and installing stuff in various orders and
: nothing worked, so I bit the bullet and ran "make build" without DESTDIR set.

Um, were you running with DESTDIR set in libgcc?

The problem is that gcc does _not_ use $DESTDIR/usr/lib/libgcc.a - it uses
its own libgcc.a (/usr/lib/libgcc.a) so that it knows it's getting the same
library as the one the compiler was meant to be with.  If, for example, you
were using an egcs cross compiler in /usr/local/egcs, it would use the
libgcc in /usr/local/egcs/lib/MACHINE_ARCH--netbsd/egcs-2.??.??/libgcc.a and
not the one in /usr/lib.

: That cleared it up. I'd say DESTDIR contains some loose shards of crockery...

No, you just have to install libgcc into the same place you install the
compiler you're using.  That means not using DESTDIR on either if you
intend it to be in /usr. :>