Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/04/1998 13:10:09
On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:

 * >  * One of the big concerns with moving to 32-bit devices is that major
 * >  * numbers made on a 32-bit aware system should work on a 32-bit unaware
 * >
 * > This is preposterous.  We gotta be able to move ahead _some_time.
 *
 * Hmm. That came out a little crypticly. The idea I was (trying) to repeat
 * addresses an issue which came up when discussing the 32-bit migration. I
 * addressed this issue in a recent message to Greg & the list. I hope it was
 * clearer the second time. :-)

I read it as "we have to support 32-bit aware devices AND 32-bit unaware
devices", i.e. 8/8 splits AND 10/22 or whatever splits.

if (I've misunderstood) {
    exit(0);
}
else {
    WHY?  We're already running filesystems that, say, SunOS no longer
    understands.  Why support the old device nodes any further?

    i.e. if my system crashes, I cannot boot from a SunOS CD-ROM for
    recovery.
}

 *
 * Take care,