Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/04/1998 10:57:50
On Sat, Oct 03, 1998 at 11:15:58PM -0700, Gandhi woulda smacked you wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
>  * > Anything that moves us away from implicitly used letters and toward
>  * > documented partition types makes sense to me too.
>  *
>  * ?? diskabel's output always indicates partition type.
>
> FWIW, I still think the disk text-labeling thing is more trouble
> than it's worth.
>
> If you want windoze, you know where to find it.  Volume labeling is,
> to quote a phrase, "an egregious hack".

Windows doesn't handle this any differently than we do. I avoided mentioning
it, since someone early in the conversation said 'or other Unix variants',
but if you install windows on a disk and then install a drive earlier in
the chain, Windows is toast. (not deleted etc, just won't run at all.)
Likewise, if you have a C: and D: drive and pull the C: drive, D -> C with
no choice on your part. Yes the disks have labels, but they're just used
for display as far as I know. I've certainly never had reason to pay
attention to what mine were called.

Now, if you want to talk AmigaDos, where you could actually type 'cd hd0:'
or 'cd myharddisk:' that's another matter. ;-)

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,