Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/04/1998 02:46:38
In message <9810040432.AA27464@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>, Greg Earle writes:
>Are there any?  I certainly don't consider /dev/dsk/cWtXdYsZ one of them.
>(Having once been bitten by an errant "boot -r" on Solaris 2, like Rick Kelly)

Well, I've been bitten once by accidentally hitting the address-jumper on
a drive - and renumbering my *ENTIRE* system.  Then taking a drive out
whe it was failing - and having my *ENTIRE* system renumber itself again.

I dunno what 'boot -r' does, but if "I have had a bad experince with
this" is a damning piece of evidence, the 'sd*' probe is a Bad Idea.

I personally think it's a great idea - it just has weaknesses.  Each
of the systems has different weaknesses.  More choices, better chance
to avoid weaknesses.

>Far better that than these repeated System V-ficiation attempts by people
>from that background, like Mr. Woods.  I'm with John Nemeth on this one ...

NIH NIH NIH.

>P.S. Shouldn't this *really* be on tech-<somethingorother>?

Actually, it proably should.

-s