Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/04/1998 00:43:13
> > There's a difference between turning BSD into SysV and importing good ideas
> > from SysV.
>
> Are there any?  I certainly don't consider /dev/dsk/cWtXdYsZ one of them.
> (Having once been bitten by an errant "boot -r" on Solaris 2, like Rick Kelly)

Solaris "boot -r" is a poorly implemented concept all by itself and has
nothing to do with whether the rest of the system uses /dev/dsk style nodes
or not. The problem with boot-r is that it does an implicit "rm -r /dev" which
should NEVER be done implicitly by any system tool; that should always require
confirmation from a sysop.

There are two ends of the spectrum; one is a small number of sanely named
devices that might change identities the next time you alter your hardware,
and the other is mounds of device nodes whose names never change.

I hope we can eventually come up with a solutione somewhere in between. I
am not in favor of "SysVization" -- no way -- but all the same I would like
to see something that handles many different kinds of common hardware changes
without constantly requiring personal attention to patch up the kernel config
file or the files in /etc and /dev after the damage has been done.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com