Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/04/1998 02:13:26
On Sat, Oct 03, 1998 at 09:32:27PM -0700, Greg Earle wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 03, 1998 at 03:18:14PM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
> >> Note, that this rant isn't just aimed at you, but rather everybody
> >> that is trying to turn NetBSD into SysV (*especially* Greg, who keeps
> >> restarting this idiotic discussion every few months).
> >
> > There's a difference between turning BSD into SysV and importing good ideas
> > from SysV.
>
> Are there any?  I certainly don't consider /dev/dsk/cWtXdYsZ one of them.
> (Having once been bitten by an errant "boot -r" on Solaris 2, like Rick Kelly)

I'd say we won't know unless there's discussion of the issues.

Besides, 'good' is in the eye of the SysAdmin, or some mixed-metaphor like
that.

> If we're going to consider radical changes, why not go whole-hog and
> implement Veritas' VxVM and its abstraction away of the physical device layer?

Although this sounds like sarcasm to me, it begs the question: Are radical
changes not open to discussion? I'd summarize my side of the answer to that
one as 'no radical change for the sake of change, but rational discussion/
deliberation on the values of _any_ change, radical or not.'

> Far better that than these repeated System V-ficiation attempts by people
> from that background, like Mr. Woods.  I'm with John Nemeth on this one ...

When the comments repeatedly get personal and accusatory, I get leary of
the effect on the mailing-lists. People who may have valuable contributions
to make may be reluctant enough to get involved to begin with. When users
see personal comments like the two quoted here I fear it may disincent
participation.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,