Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/1998 23:15:58
On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:

 * The problem is that to put the "raw" partition out of band, we need
 * another major number dedicated to the drive type. So sd's would have two
 * devices, and wd's would have two...
 *
 * As it is, we'll have multiple major numbers for disks soon anyway. Why
 * double that?

You know something we don't; care to elucidate?

 * One of the big concerns with moving to 32-bit devices is that major
 * numbers made on a 32-bit aware system should work on a 32-bit unaware

This is preposterous.  We gotta be able to move ahead _some_time.

 * > Anything that moves us away from implicitly used letters and toward
 * > documented partition types makes sense to me too.
 *
 * ?? diskabel's output always indicates partition type.

FWIW, I still think the disk text-labeling thing is more trouble
than it's worth.

If you want windoze, you know where to find it.  Volume labeling is,
to quote a phrase, "an egregious hack".

 *
 * Take care,
 *
 * Bill
 *

				--*greywolf;
--
Friends don't let friends use Microsoft.