Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/1998 21:32:27
> On Sat, Oct 03, 1998 at 03:18:14PM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
>> Note, that this rant isn't just aimed at you, but rather everybody
>> that is trying to turn NetBSD into SysV (*especially* Greg, who keeps
>> restarting this idiotic discussion every few months).
>
> There's a difference between turning BSD into SysV and importing good ideas
> from SysV.

Are there any?  I certainly don't consider /dev/dsk/cWtXdYsZ one of them.
(Having once been bitten by an errant "boot -r" on Solaris 2, like Rick Kelly)

If we're going to consider radical changes, why not go whole-hog and
implement Veritas' VxVM and its abstraction away of the physical device layer?

Far better that than these repeated System V-ficiation attempts by people
from that background, like Mr. Woods.  I'm with John Nemeth on this one ...

	- Greg

P.S. Shouldn't this *really* be on tech-<somethingorother>?