Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/1998 19:47:36
John Nemeth said:

>     Personally, I hate it!  It's ugly and awkward as hell.  Also, as
>has been pointed out, it doesn't work in the real world, the way you
>guys fantasize it working.  Once the system is setup, I really don't
>care where my disks are located, and any new disks can simply be
>tagged onto the end of the list.  Why should I have to remember to use
>'mount /dev/dsk/c1t2d0 /cdrom' (taken from an HP-UX system just now; I
>had to use ioscan to remind myself where the cdrom drive is) as
>opposed to simply 'mount /dev/cd0a /cdrom' in order to view a cdrom?
>The first command is really stupid.  This idiotic device naming scheme
>is one of the things I really hate about having to administrate SysV
>machines (currently Solaris 2.5 and HP-UX 10.20).

Reminds me of a sparcserver 2000 with 32 2-gig disks that I used to
maintain. It was running Solaris 2.3 with a carefully crafted vfstab
and device tree. One day it crashed and a clueless engineer typed
"boot -r". Luckily I had a backup of /.

--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com	    rmk@tencats.rmkhome.com
                http://tencats.rmkhome.com