Subject: Re: PPP authentication
To: Herb Peyerl , Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/1998 20:06:12
On Sep 29,  5:33am, Herb Peyerl wrote:
} Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>  wrote:
}  > Let's say there are some 30 NetBSD boxes with 4 to 8 dial-in lines on
}  > each.  What's the easiest way of configuring PPP on all lines and boxes
}  > to authenticate the users using a shared user database?  Also, is there
}  > any way of limiting user on-line time to some number of minutes per day?
}
} You know, I hate to say it; but sometimes there's just _no_
} replacement for a decent comm-server... If you're dealing with
} regular modems, then you should be able to find a 32 or 64 port
} comm-server for free in a junk-pile somewhere or maybe for $20...

     I agree with this.  The problem is the cost.  The cheapest one
that I could find new is about $2500 Canadian.  I don't know of any
used ones floating around, and given the cost of them, I wouldn't
expect to find them as cheap as you seem to think they should be.
We've been looking for them for our local communnity net.  Don't
forget that Jukka is in Finland which may complicat matters.

}-- End of excerpt from Herb Peyerl